View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #718
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
Hello and thank you for the great plugin! I am just trying it out for the first time.

Is there any way to download just the grrating and grvotes metadata for my entire library, without touching any of the other existing metadata already in place?

There seems to be two layers of difficulty preventing me from doing this:
  1. In the plugin configuration there is no metadata field selection option for either grrating or grvotes (I assume 'Rating' here corresponds to the standard Calibre rating, and not the new grrating custom column?).
To download the grrating and grvotes you need to tick the relevant options in the "other options" section. These get inserted as identifiers for your book, which you can then bind to custom columns (all a bit of a hack to workaround limitations in the calibre metadata download API which has a strict set of known columns only it can populate).

So yes the Rating there is the standard rating column.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
[*]If I do a CTRL+D to download metadata in bulk, it appears that the way Calibre works is that if you have any metadata fields to download deselected, instead of leaving the existing entries for that field in place, they get replaced by empty fields. So I cannot seem to choose to only update certain metadata fields?
Anyone who has read enough of my ranting posts over the years would know I never use or recommend using bulk download metadata. For most users it will just lead to corrupting your library like the sort of issues you are seeing. If the search result is linked to the wrong book you are overwriting your book data and would never know it.

As to whether there is some other way to pull that data selectively rather than going through each book one by one - not that comes to mind. Remember every book has to have the right goodreads identifier assigned before you could perform any sort of bulk activity with any level of confidence. And getting the right goodreads id is itself at the whims of Goodreads search engine results and presenting the wrong book more often than you would like.

All of which is only solvable by going through each book one at a time and making sure your data is correct - so you may as well just get the grrating/grvotes at the same time...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote