View Single Post
Old 09-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The CSS property "float: snap-block" may be what you are looking for. See this example from W3C to see how it works.

Amazon has limited support for this property in Enhanced Typesetting (KFX formatting). I don't know about support in other e-readers.
I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to test it in Calibre's book viewer and I'm not seeing it working correctly (the image shows but doesn't seem to "float") but it may be an issue of limited compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As long as the image is not included within the <p></p> tags you should never have a paragraph ‘interrupted’ halfway for the image…it should complete the paragraph, then display the image.
You're correct, and I think I wasn't explaining myself well. I mean it'll cut into the middle of a sentence in a print book, so the text on the preceding page will go all the way to the bottom of the page. I was trying to replicate this in an epub (though just having the image jump between paragraphs, not within one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Otherwise, I try and place the image slightly after the scene depicted by the image first gets discussed. That keeps the story flowing smoothly, with a natural pause to view the image.
That is currently what I do as well, but was curious if there was a more elegant solution. And I agree about justified text; I tend to remove the justification alignment when I come across it as it looks odd outside of a few specific use cases.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote