Thread: OTG support
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #71
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMyKaSii View Post
But isn't it possible to do that on the Kindle 4? At least on my Paperwhite 4 (10th) it is possible to connect the Kindle and an Android phone together, you just need to ensure that the OTG cable is plugged into the phone.
Apparently not (yours is like, 6 generations later) - since it apparently took this Christian Hoff dude a bunch of effort a decade ago to make this happen. Some other guy did it on a PW3. Either way, I've only tried one USB-C OTG cable (going into phone) and an assortment of MicroUSB cables (going into Kindle) so far, but nothing happens. Some earlier attempts even scrambled the USB port or something, making the Kindle partly unrecognizable on Windows for a while.

Here's a list I'm slowly assembling of what I supposedly have to do:
1. Install USBnet so I can SSH (since K4 apparently has no terminal emulator to issue commands with) or turn on USBnet from diags? I did the latter.
2. Back up kernel (do I use this or this? Both of them confuse me. Do I need to install Linux on the Kindle for the latter?)
3. Compile OTG kernel (instructions for doing this are apparently lost and I have no idea how to do it. I'll try following the boilerplate linux readme, but I expect some obscure old dependencies and compatibility issues will come to haunt me)
4. Use kexec to load OTG kernel whenever I have to use it (or maybe flash it permanently?)

Most of these steps seem like a huge can of worms, and I'd be glad to know if any of them are deprecated/unnecessary for the purposes of doing this. I also have no idea how convenient the UX would be in the end - how would you even switch OTG modes on this kernel? Can you make shortcuts for that, or do you have to type commands every time?

Edit: I enabled USBnet from the diags and installed Windows drivers for it, but I don't know how to SSH - I haven't found any clients which have straightforward options for the necessary subnets or tunneling or whatever. Do I have to stay inside diags mode while I try to SSH?

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 08-16-2023 at 06:13 AM.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote