View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 04:04 PM   #28
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Get the Kobo, they are so much more adaptable. Anything you don't like can usually be fixed with a patch. I'm not a techie, so a kind person from here helped me patch my Libra 2.

I understand that you don't like asymmetry, but the Libra 2 has a gyroscope: when you turn the ereader, the text turns with it. This means you can use it in landscape mode with the part with the buttons at the bottom, giving left and right symmetry.

Otherwise, go for the Clara.
I used to be a kindle person, and still have two kindles which I use, but was so glad to jump ship. You can still buy books from Amazon, remove the drm, then convert and put them on your Kobo.

Also, it sounds like you've been downloading some poorly formatted public domain books. Take a look at the books in the mobileread library which works on a life+70 copyright basis. The books here are beautifully formatted by dedicated people.

Kindle is okay, but Kobo readers are better in my opinion.
Yeah, honestly software has been the one holdover that's been making this decision tough. I really, really like what I've seen and heard of the software on Kobo devices and like it the more I hear about it.

The Libra 2's still iffy for me, and reading in landscape mode doesn't sound particularly pleasant. I'd love if I had a way to demo the Libra 2 and see what it feels like, but there's basically no way to do so in my country.

The screen size has more so been a problem of me needing to make text size substantially bigger to read at night without my glasses. One of my biggest issues with the Kindle Basic (aside from the software and formatting stuff and lack of warm light) and been that there wasn't enough text on screen. It's still usable, but not great.

I've recently learned you can adjust the margins on a Kobo to get way closer to the edge of the screen than on a Kindle. Does anyone know if that's actually the case and practical for normal reading application? If it is, I'd be able to make the text just big enough for what I prefer and I'd probably get the Clara 2E in a heartbreat.
direhooks is offline   Reply With Quote