Thread: Audiobooks
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
If anyone has a purchased Kobo audiobook, would you please tell me what the filename and extension is, and also what folder it is in. These details may help.
All of the following is based on a sample of one audiobook from the Kobo Store.

When I first got my Libra2 I "purchased" a free audiobook from Kobo to test. It was Charles Dickens - Bleak House, narrated by Geoffrey Giuliano. I'm in the UK so I don't know whether this link works in other countries.

I don't use wi-fi but the audiobook synced to my Libra2 when I connected it to Kobo Desktop. It does not download to the Kobo Desktop library on the PC.

It downloads as a subdirectory in .kobo/audiobook with a name like xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx where each x is a hex char [0-9a-f], i.e. just like a store-bought kepub's filename.

Inside the directory are many files named 0, 1, 2, ... etc., all with no file extension. The number of files seems to correspond to the number of chapters and, comparing filesizes to chapter length, suggests that the filename probably denotes the playing order.

I did a basic test of adding a file extension (.mp3, .mp4, .m4b) to one of the chapter files but wasn't able to open it in a PC media player. I don't have any reverse engineering skills.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more info. If you find out anything more useful I'll be very interested to hear it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote