View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 10:37 AM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
SomeSteve:

One way to do that would be to use an <i> to indicate the visual italics and use <em> to indicate an emphasized word or phrase.

(snipping code for brevity)
I'd also add that it's commonplace--and we do it all the time at my shop--to de-emphasize/de-italicize the "emphasized" portion. it's like quoting a book title in a footnote, for example, in which the footnote text is italicized. You remove the italics from the title--it's nothing more than a visual cue, like every other "rule" in typography and layout.

The entire freaking point is to say to the reader, "HEY READER! Here is something that you should pay attention to." The order of things--italics for the entire paragraph, regular face for the book title, or the other way 'round, doesn't matter.

What matters is bloody CLARITY. That's what is important. Doing something consistently, conforming your uses thereof to all be the same, is what matters.

NOT arguing over this nonsense of whether or not there's some goddamned eBook out there that uses BOTH em and i. Of course they exist--I know that personally.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote