View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 05:07 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no difference in look using <em> or <i>. How would you know which the paper edition used?

Same difference with <strong> and <b>.
That's my point. Unless the context is obvious or you talk to the author, or are the author, you can't tell.

Actually on one book I was editing the author had used a massive amount of bold everywhere (I removed it all except in headings / chapter titles) and a lot of italics in dialogue, thoughts and narration. I removed all of the italics except where the dragon was "talking" with the man. I left the dragon's mind-speech as italic and removed the quotes. I also emailed back a style guide and the author accepted all of that.

But sometimes there is value in <em> or <strong>, so I'd not argue that it's pointless.

I think non-fiction is more likely to need <em> than fiction.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote