View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 01:56 AM   #56
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
While not directly about AI generated books, I thought this article was interesting, published today on ABC News Australia: Replika users fell in love with their AI chatbot companions. Then they lost them

I'm not taking this as necessarily strong evidence that AI bots can be convincingly human (I can't really guess at that, having never tried an "AI chatbot companion"), but I do suggest it is evidence of the adaptability of humans. We can, given the right incentives, overlook many flaws in order to get what we (think we) need from a relationship.

And to bring it back to this thread topic, I think this suggests that AIs could well produce books that at least some readers will find acceptable, not because they're great stories by literary standards, nor because they are producing original material, but actually because they are reproducing patterns we find pleasing. I can easily see this happening, if not now, then before long. So while we may have various publishers scrambling to assure readers all their content is produced by humans, it may not be that far off to find some publishers deliberately and openly publishing AI text*.

* And that might be of particular interest because it is starting to look like AI text may not be copyrightable in at least some jurisdictions, and so we may get a live experiment of how no-copyright competes with copyright.

Last edited by gmw; 03-01-2023 at 01:59 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote