View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #16
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No, I don’t need to “connect” and like you, I’m not even sure what that means.

My sense of it is what you suggest, that either or both they can identify with a character and that the story resonates personally with them. My own take on that kind of thing is that it’s irrelevant at best and frequently a signifier of cheesy story telling that engenders a cheap response. I only want characters and to be consistent and accurate within the story that’s being told.

Along similar lines and I think it has much in common with your question, I don’t understand the plaint when a story is damned because characters aren’t likable. Are they interesting, are they funny? Do they make sense within the context of the story? That’s all I need. It’s a book not a family gathering!
I agree with issybird
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote