View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #39
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a Canon 70D DSLR with a really fast SD card. Its mini-USB (not even micro), is faster than anything else I have, even a USB-B 3.0 SATA HDD adaptor with a 3.5" 7200 rpm disk. USB-C, USB-B or micro-USB.

Ereaders are all pretty slow, though the Sage is the fastest with Calibre. The MTP devices, even with USB-C, are the slowest.

Summary

The kind of USB connector tells you nothing about the speed.

Ethernet achieves 1000 GBps by using parallel transfer on 4 pairs at the same time each at 250 Mbps. USB only uses one pair for data (USB-C extra signalling pair is used for power configuration and optionally there are pairs with Video). Also USB only transmits or receives, half-duplex. The 1Gbps ethernet full duplex transmits and receives at the same time using echo cancellation and hybrid techniques.

USB was developed for keyboard, mouse and joystick etc and has been gradually tinkered with. It beat the superior firewire in the market as it's royalty free and fireware has a royalty. Firewire can run peer-to-peer and do networking, storage or streaming. The original version can be faster in the real world than USB 3.0.

USB is a mess.
You must not have any decent USB 3 devices if a camera with USB 2 is the fastest. These days you can easily get USB SSDs that can get pretty damn close to the 5gbps or 10gbps max.

As Renate mentioned, USB C does not guarantee USB 3. My phone uses USB C but it's only 2.0 so transferring files is very slow. My Boox eReaders though use USB 3 and when combined with a USB 3.0 cable transfers run at that speed. Even with the slight overhead of MTP it's way faster than a mass storage USB 2.0 eReader like a Kobo.

And the connector can tell you about speed sometimes. There is no USB 3 USB mini, and USB micro that supports 3.0 has a weird sidecar thing and USB-B for 3.0 has an extra growth as well. Only A and C are particularly confusing.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 02-08-2023 at 06:43 AM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote