View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 08:17 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosaenz View Post
I take the opportunity to ask the following, let's say I forget about the idea of ​​publishing for kindle and I generate an epub2 file for other platforms, would my configurations with EM values ​​work correctly in this format?
You'd want epub3 and svg, not images. Image based equations will work poorly on epub2 or epub3.
Eink ereaders only somewhat support svg or epub3, best support is a few Android ereader apps.

You can convert docx or laTex equations to svg so they are vectors and rescale on some platforms. Very few sadly.

This is an issue that could have been addressed a few years before the Kindle (2007) or possibly any eink (2005 Sony), but at the time PDAs and phones with small screens were the only platform and Mobipocket was the biggest seller. It was all ebooks of fiction/novels and the earliest Mobipocket on Wiindows CE, Symbian and PalmOS only did basic reflowable text (probably Latin/Roman only).

The early Kindles up to DXG only do a subset of Greek and otherwise only Latin/Roman. No Cyrillic, Arabic, Asian, Hebrew etc, even though that was a solved problem on underlying Linux OS more than 10 years earlier.

Ebooks work best for novels, with optionally some illustrations were size doesn't matter chucked in. The older Kindles only support Western European text. You need epubs or later Amazon Kindle azw3 for Cyrillic, Arabic, Asian, Hebrew etc. And even on later Kindles the user has to always manually select Publisher option (in Aa or Theme) for publisher embedded fonts.
Note many apps for epub ignore embedded fonts and so special characters for maths won't work. Good free epub Apps for Andriod do exist, but Android has no built in ereader app and people are attached to "broken" apps they install.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote