View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
furious
furious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm wary of updating version of Android on any device, though my Lenovo Yoga Tab (about £220) did it automatically the first time I switched on WiFi. Now I check settings if possible on a new thing before enabling WiFi.
There is little choice with Kindle upgrades and you can't go back.
Kobo lets you easily go back.
I was so fed up with Windows update breaking drivers and applications (just on same version of Windows) I have a spare less important Linux PC only used for a SCSI flat bed scanner and check out updates on that before main PC & laptop. So far in 6 years only GUI of Thunderbird "broke" by adopting latest Firefox GUI and ignoring desktop theme. Mozilla have totally list the plot. MS are not that much different to 30 years ago except now promote so called Cloud instead of desktop. I do have Win 10 on a VM and it was a pain to clean out the nonsense.
On Android you can download a tool from Playstore to expose real names of Apps and then when Android debugging enabled use Windows or Linux host (maybe Mac too?) to uninstall stupid OEM or Google installed garbage.
My uncle's - 3-year-old - Samsung phone gave out, or rather became nigh on unusable after another one of those updates. Result? He had to resort to buy a new phone of course.

I've got a cheap Xiaomi Redmi 9 phone that's still on Android 11, I wasn't paranoid then but now I'm dismayed.

It seems these companies are pervading their planned obsolescence from hardware to hardware and software also.
furious is offline   Reply With Quote