Thread: PNG in KF8 yet?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 12:56 AM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Hilariously: All but ONE of the icons are found in a font that I embedded, but one of them had to be taken from a different font and wouldn't render. Would have gotten away with it ALL if it hadn't been for that one pesky glyph!
What, exactly, are the symbols (and tables) you're trying to reproduce?

(Show us images of the PDF pages.)

Quote:
Oh, the shaded table rows work just peachy on KP3 not a problem AT ALL.
A "shaded table" with transparent PNG? That just sounds like it's asking for trouble once users fiddle with their settings.

(I hate websites that do that with my color overrides.)

(Also, images-of-tables... poor idea. Better to do actual HTML tables. See my detailed topics below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You could also create zebra striping with pseudo selectors [...]
Yes, that is also a possibility.

Quote:
Oh bother and heck. Transparent PNGs still not reliably supported in 2022?
Amazon/Kindles have had oddities with transparency for years.

See my famous:

where I tested out various types of transparency.

And like Hitch said, Kindlegen always converted PNG + changed to white background too.

Calibre to MOBI/KF8 was able to somehow generate them fine... but Kindlegen (and Amazon's official ingestion system), nope.

Quote:
What I'm currently finding is that I have a table with shaded backgrounds on alternate rows. There are PNG icons (nicely made with transparent backgrounds). BUT... on the white background lines, SOME of the PNGs have aquired the background colour of the shaded cells!!!

[...]

Just gonna have to drop the alternate shading and face the customer.
I'm going to channel my inner-JSWolf here...

Zebra Striping (coloring alternate rows) is garbage.

Do not use it, do not promote it, do not continue spreading those abominations.

See the fantastic GIF: "How to make your tables less terrible".

Also see my posts in:

and my recent post yesterday in:

If you want even more examples, see my recent comments in:

So many people create "table-like graphics" + think it "looks nice", but in actuality, they're doing a complete disservice to their underlying data.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-25-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote