View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
WAIT! --- Give me your thoughts on why you don't like an owl.

(I haven't heard 'Dude' in a long time.)
It's got nothing, really, to do with the owl. It's simply...I just don't know what you're doing here. Why would anyone, anyone at all, stop and look at that cover, much less click on it? For what, a book about an Owl? Well, the book's not about an owl, is it? What is it about? Oh, wait, we have no idea, because it's appaerntly really meant to be Litfic, so we're going to be deliberately obscure.

Here's the same thing that I tell my clients, and you are, as are they, just as welcome to ignore it as some of them do--your cover is clickbait. That is its entire job. It has no other job, no other existence. Serves no other purpose and anyone that tells you differently is blowing smoke. Other ideas around cover purposes are mostly wishful thinking and inexperience.

Once the cover has been clicked, and the prospective buyer is on your sales page, the cover may as well vaporize. It's rarely looked at again (even Amazon will confess that if asked; people don't look at covers after they buy and don't read front-matter, by and large, either, which is why all Kindle eBooks open to the first chapter, despite the flailing by their authors to force the reader to read the front-matter) and it's done its thing.

Then it's the job of the description and the LookInside, to get the buyer to BUY. That is the job that those elements are meant to do--to get someone to buy. Period.

I just don't understand whom you believe would click on that cover. To read what? Who is your perfect reader? What is s/he seeking, and why does that cover invoke that sense in him/her, that this is the "right" place to look? Can you elucidate that, in some way that connects to the snookered Owl and the incredibly boring sans font face?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote