View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Online, at least, I normally try one (or maybe two) rounds of polite, rational and respectful debate. This is often effective. But the effectiveness comes from the fact that my identification of such people in the online environment is often iffy (perhaps due to missing social cues, and the like; perhaps it's my poor understanding -- who knows!). Many people who at first appeared to be in the group Dr. Drib was describing show themselves to be quite reasonable when given a chance (and politely challenged to be more careful in their writing).

When the problem persists, a quick <plonk>* via the ignore functionality is the most effective response I've found.

Xenophon

* The sound of a dropped stone falling into the water at the bottom of a deep, deep well.
On forums, I remind myself that I do not know the people well enough to get too fully vested in an argument with them about something I care deeply about.

I also remind myself that nothing said on a forum should be taken personally. Although that is hard to believe sometimes....[I am a moderator on another forum and it is unbelievable some of the things strangers have written to me in private messages.]
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote