View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like having a Fire tablet around, because it is the only device that supports text to speech for Kindle books (not counting Alexa devices). That's pretty much all I use it for. The 2020 Fire HD Plus is easily the best Fire I've had, but it mostly gathers dust.

I also still have a Fire HD6, which was really sweet for reading, though a bit heavy. Wish they'd at least upgrade the Fire 7 display to 1280x800 (like the HD6); I'd definitely grab one when it gets discounted, but it seems they must have ordered too many cheap panels that they need work through, and we'll have to wait until 2025 to see any display upgrades.

Over the last several years I've pretty much gone 'full Apple', and the app ecosystem is vastly better than Google Play for the more specialized interests I have (music creation, drawing), and I have iPads. So I don't need or want my Fire to do anything other than what it does out of the box. I've installed exactly one app from Amazon App Store (Goodreads, as the built in Goodreads app is worthless).

I also installed Apple Music and Beats from APKMirror so I could connect my Beats headphones with Fire and confirm that it supports Dolby Atmos / Spatial audio, whereas my horrible Samsung Galaxy Tab does not. Cool. But it was just an experiment (BTW unlike the iOS Music app, the Android Apple Music app supports crossfade and gapless playback.)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote