View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Clearly Amazon does not share your conviction that this is pointless. There was no upside to Amazon for keeping the status quo, this gesture will gain them goodwill (already has judging from reactions I've seen) from content suppliers.
Sure. They don't think it's pointless. The point for them is quite different is all.

My point was that its pointless in so far as it won't stop anyone who is determined to read for free. Amazon knows this as well. They're doing it to appease people who are easily appeased by pointless actions. If that's what you're calling "goodwill", then fine.

My point that it won't stop any of the people from doing what it's intended to stop them from doing still stands. Because it won't. And when the Society of Authors figures that out, they'll be back with more pointless demands and Amazon might even happily grant some of them. Lather, rinse, repeat.

No one is accidentally reading for free by returning ebooks. And the ones who are doing it purposely won't be daunted by pointless added "friction." New TikTok videos explaining how to easily get around the new "considerable friction" will be posted within hours.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-22-2022 at 02:53 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote