View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #39
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
My strategy, if at all possible, is to not engage them in debate and argumentation. I turn away and avoid protracted discussions with such people. I grew up with a sister who always had to win every argument. I learned early on that turning away was my best strategy.
Online, at least, I normally try one (or maybe two) rounds of polite, rational and respectful debate. This is often effective. But the effectiveness comes from the fact that my identification of such people in the online environment is often iffy (perhaps due to missing social cues, and the like; perhaps it's my poor understanding -- who knows!). Many people who at first appeared to be in the group Dr. Drib was describing show themselves to be quite reasonable when given a chance (and politely challenged to be more careful in their writing).

When the problem persists, a quick <plonk>* via the ignore functionality is the most effective response I've found.

Xenophon

* The sound of a dropped stone falling into the water at the bottom of a deep, deep well.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote