Thread: TV tech
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 02:36 AM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
p.p.s. - My TV does HDR, however, it was one of the first that did it, and it does not display on the screen "Hey, you are looking at an HDR video stream" like the newer sets do. But you can tell the difference, and not by just eyeballing the result and declaring "it must be HDR because it looks so good". On TV sets, you can adjust the intensity of the backlight in settings. Normally you set that at far less than 100% intensity. I can't remember the exact number I have mine set at, but lets just say it was 65% for this discussion. You would never set your backlight at 100% intensity ... the resulting picture would be horrible. Anyway, when playing SDR content, I can go to settings while the film is playing and observe that my backlight intensity is 65%. That indicates SDR. But when I am playing HDR content, I can go to settings and I find my backlight has been turned up to 100%. This is because the control info in the HDR content subsequently instructs the backlight to alter its intensity for different parts of the image. As soon as the HDR content stops and things revert back to SDR, then I can observe in my settings that the backlight is once again set to 65%. This is how I can verify I am looking at HDR content objectively, not subjectively. Sometimes a scene in a movie is intentionally dark and low contrast, because that's the way the director wanted it. HDR does not automatically brighten that to make midnight look like noon. The control info in the HDR stream instructs the TV to display the parts it wants as "dark, and the viewer shouldn't be able to make out details". Because of this, you can't just look at any scene in any film and deduce, "This is HDR content". Some scenes you are not meant to be able to see well.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote