View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 06:55 AM   #3
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes, the built-in dictionary has enabled proper spelling of abbreviations and things like "etc.". Before, the dictionary improperly accepted "etc" as being correct and it spell checked "F.B.I." as 3 separate words "F", "B", and "I". These short incorrect "root" words are then used to generate multiple bad suggestions.

The new dictionary allows the the ending period to be included with unknown words in case they are abbreviations. So words like "etc." and "F.B.I." can be checked properly. It then checks the word with and without the ending period and if that word is not in the dictionary, it reports it as misspelled.

The suggestions generated will include words variations with and without the ending period so the user can select what that ending period is meant to do.

If you want to revert to the earlier behaviour, install an older hunspell dictionary into your Sigil Preferences and it will disable that new feature as the dictionary itself has to be designed to support proper spellchecking of abbreviations.
I've tried to get to terms with this behaviour, but still after four or five months find it extremely irritating, and I don't want to use old dictionaries (maybe ok now, but in ten years time …). So I found out that in the danish hunspell .aff-file of 2022 there is a line:

WORDCHARS -.

Remove the period (and restart Sigil, if it is running), and the spellchecker will revert to (what I call) normal, that is no double entries of "misspelled" words with and without a period.

(And of course, if the dog in reality lies buried somewhere else in the spellchecker, it would be nice to know the correct way of toggling it.)

Regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 09-02-2022 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Removed wrong information about other setting
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote