View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Blog Kindle, I am hoping you may be able to discern what I did wrong. I have a beautiful unicode font (4 .tff files for regular, bold, italic, and bolditalic) that I've purchased and that I was hoping to use on my K2. I followed your "Using your own fonts" instructions, and I took your advice to test it out only on the browser first and then apply to the reader if that works. Here's what I did, step by step:

1) I replaced the 4 Serif*.tff files in the /src directory with the corresponding files for my font, keeping the original Serif names.

2) I ran the build-updates.cmd.

3) I copied the update_unicode_fonts_droid_install_browser.bin file into my Kindle 2's root directory, and I ensured it was the only .bin file there.

4) I applied the update.

The Kindle restarted fine. I opened the browser and the font was beautiful. I went to some sites that were in unicode in the languages that I am most interested in, and they looked spectacular!

So, next, I

1) copied the update_unicode_fonts_uninstall.bin to the root directory of my Kindle 2.

2) applied the update

After the restart, I checked the browser to ensure it was back to the default Kindle font. It was. So then I was ready to apply it to the reader and the browser. Here are the steps I took:

1) I replaced the 4 Mono*.tff files and the 4 Sans*.ttf files in the /src directory with the corresponding files for my font, keeping the original Mono and Sans names as I had done previously with the Serif fonts.

2) I ran the build-updates.cmd.

3) I copied the update_unicode_fonts_droid_install.bin file into my Kindle 2's root directory and ensured that it was the only .bin file in there.

4) I applied the update.

The result was an infinite loop that went from the applying update ... will take a few minutes screen (never any progress on status bar) to the Kindle is restarting ... may take a minute screen (again no progress). After I watched it do this for about 10 minutes with no progress, I initiated the Recovery Mode, connected the USB, removed the .bin file which was still there in the root, pressed R to reboot and it did so normally. I'd like to try again, but I'm a bit wary.

I'm on 2.0.2 with the SS 0.4 hack installed. Any idea what may have happened?

*Update*
I changed all the Mono*.ttf and Sans*.ttf files back to original ones and left the Serif*.ttf changed to my desired unicode font. I ran build-updates.cmd, copied over update_unicode_fonts_droid_install.bin, ran the update and it worked great. My home page and all my books now read in my font. Thank you! I am guessing that I was never supposed to mess with the Mono*.ttf and Sans*.ttf files. Is that right? Does the reader, just like the browser, only make use of the serif font? Thanks again!

Last edited by Damętas; 04-10-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote