View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #31
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Library cards and morality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I don't mind people using the library through various means, the libraries still gather stats on the usage and it helps funding regardless if the user has a card through questionable means. Really, it helps libraries when their collections are used, it helps justify their budget to city councils and etc...

I'm a librarian so I have some knowledge on how circ counts help libraries. Even ebook circulation helps. Plus most librarians I know just want people to use their resources! They even count items as used when the items aren't checked out but someone pulled it off the shelf and read at a table for a while.
I’ve heard a few librarians say this. Digital catalogs have made me a library patron again. The only thing I ever used my local public library was the adult book club. However, that ended with the pandemic. I think they’ve started back up, but I’m high risk so I won’t be attending. BookTube book clubs have filled in that gap for me. In fact it’s better because my library’s club only 6 books a year. This year I committed myself to two year long clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
What I have a beef with is when non taxpayers for that library issue book challenges! I feel that only the local community should have a say on the library collection development.
This feels outrageous to me too! The nerve of some people.

I don’t know how you feel about this, but I think it’s weird to hear people say they ask the libraries to buy books when they don’t contribute any money to those libraries. If I’ve paid into the system I have no problem with making a recommendation. I’ve never made a recommendation before, but I’m just saying I would have no issue with doing so. However, I could never bring myself to do that where I have permission to borrow, but I don’t contribute. I’m a patron of a library with OverDrive that gives access to everyone in my state. The catalog is super tiny, but I would never make a recommendation. It just doesn’t sit right with me.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote