View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am curious to find out more about this. On the face of it, this does not make sense to me.

NFTs allow for proof of ownership and its transfer in a decentralized fashion. That seems to go against the idea of Pearson retaining control of ownership transfers in order to enforce getting their cut of the purchase price. I suspect that they are using the popular buzzwords but actually relying on more proprietary technology.

This certainly raises some questions. How would a market for used digital textbooks work? What would the price difference be between new and used? If they are identical to new books then why would anyone buy new from the publisher? If they are not identical then what makes them different? How would this differ from just allowing returns of no longer needed textbooks to the publisher for a partial refund?
They sell new books every semester, the info is the same but they usually rearrange the chapters and other stuff to make finding the info a bit more difficult. If a teacher tells you to turn to chapter two, you will have to go hunting to find where it is in the old book.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote