View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 07:11 PM   #51
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I think to some extent they don't care, because libraries want more people reading and it's going to be a fairly small number of people who will cheat to get access. Tennessee's R.E.A.D.S. doesn't do much checking either. My library doesn't have any kind of Internet presence, and R.E.A.D.S. doesn't even check to see if your name matches the card number. It's basically an honor system.

Personally, while I wouldn't do it, I don't mind it too much because I think it's great people want to read more books that badly. I suspect most of the ones that do cheat can't afford to buy a lot of books themselves, or they wouldn't do this.

I don’t mind either for the most part. For me the issue is people doing this who can afford to buy patronage at a library that allows out of state patrons but don’t. I have no issue with the poor doing it. I grew up as a poor disabled kid with a single mom. This would’ve been perfect for me back then. Now I am a disabled adult who is middle class, but still one crisis away from being poor again, and I’ve gladly paid into two out of state libraries.

I also don’t have a problem with people using cards from friends/family who live in states but they themselves aren’t readers. Some might say it’s unethical, but I disagree since those libraries are still being funded by those friend’s/family’s taxes.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote