View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Honestly, I find certain older science-fiction books to be amusing. You have interstellar travel, even galaxy-wide empires, and yet societally it's like they never left 1950s America with everyone smoking cigars and a notable lack of females.
Sci-fi isn’t my thing, but it seems to me that the lack of women, and certainly the lack of women in positions of authority or even autonomy, persisted way beyond the 1950s. It’s especially bizarre when it’s fiction of the 1960s or later, once second-wave feminism had taken hold, and you’d like to think that authors would have been able to project from that into the future where women would have had equal roles, but no.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote