View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Or: Since it is convenient, I didn't bother to do any due diligence and now I want a company to protect me from mistakes that I made by being lazy.
You misapprehend my point, namely, that Amazon and the author make more money in the long run by promoting such laziness. They want to encourage people to buy without a lot of due diligence and forethought. Some will renege, but most will live with it. You’re ignoring other buyers: “I bought it because it was easy and I could return it since it stinks, but I can’t be bothered.” And: “I bought it only because I could return it if I didn’t like it, and I liked it.” (This one’s Hitch.) There are more, all resulting in increased sales. Good authors should embrace easy returns and even bad ones will do better than without it.*

Allowing returns of ebooks costs Amazon and the author nothing at all at the individual sale level and results in a lot more sales in the aggregate. And while sometimes Amazon gets things very wrong, mostly it doesn’t. I can’t help thinking it knows exactly what’s going on with this policy.

I honestly don’t know why you’re making a moral crusade out of something that’s strictly business.

*The risk for a bad author, of course, is that once burnt a customer will never try them again. But even here, easy returns mean someone might chance them again.

Last edited by issybird; 06-28-2022 at 11:30 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote