View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
hi harry

"A report dating back to 2004 estimated that a single, large ISP in the UK would need up to 40 million gigabytes of storage capacity to store the traffic data from a year of user activity. Even in 2009, that kind of storage doesn't come cheap, nor does the challenge of managing it all come easy."

where are they going to store all this?
But they are not (as I understand it) going to store "all user activity"; just e-mail and URLs visited. That's a much more "manageable" problem. The company I work for (several tens of thousands of employees - the size of a small ISP) logs all its e-mail traffic and web usage; the database is not large.

Quote:
also can you really trust them not to twist this law so it can be used to look at everything you do online in the future by railroading it through under the guise of anti terror laws?
I'm afraid I don't share your cynicism of the aims of government. Like it or not, surveillance techniques are vital for law enforcement: eg the arrest of the chaps who attempted to bomb the London Underground a couple of years ago was almost entirely down to CCTV and tracking mobile phones. The police NEED such facilities as the internet becomes used more and more by terrorists and organised crime.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote