View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Googling the defintion:

Can't say as I seek it out, but I believe I read it from time to time.

I always thought of "dystopian" as a bleak futuristic setting. But it seems like grimdark wouldn't include fantasy type books (like Steel Remains (I believe this is dark fantasy (I haven't read it, but it is on my TBR list)), ...
Many of the best-known grimdark stories are fantasy. In fantasy, it’s often used to refer to “anti-Tolkien” stories. They are often cynical and nihilistic as well.

I’ve seen some people refer to “dystopian fantasies” (although it usually refers to science fictional settings). There is also one famous grimdark fantasy that actually takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Just to confuse things.

"Dark fantasy" would probably work better, but it's used to refer to fantasy with elements of horror. And now, it's being used to refer to some urban fantasy stories. And "nihilistic fantasy" would be too hard to spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If grimdark is dark fantasy or dark science fiction, then for young adult, how about The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey?
It sounds like it could be, but that seems to depend on tone as well.

Last edited by Critteranne; 04-20-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote