View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I think 'grimdark' is a stupid word, so I haven't done tons of homework on it. But isn't George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire ground zero for what is now called grimdark?
It is a rather silly word. It came from Warhammer (“In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.”). And from what I’ve heard, it was originally used jokingly. Fans and writers can’t decide on whether it’s a real genre or just a weird label.

GRRM is one of the pioneers. But while it’s not as famous, Glen Cook’s first Black Company book came out several years earlier.

I think the term grimdark has staying power because it’s short and because terms like “dark fantasy” have other meanings. And it probably works because the label can be mocked — even by fans and by its own writers. (Also, the genre or label or whatever it is can be applied to both SF and fantasy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have The Steel Remains from Morgan. But I haven't yet read it.
I know that feeling…
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote