View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Other notes:
- The font-family customizations on jackie_w's nickel patches may not work.
To add a bit more detail to @geek1011's comment ...

Kobo seems to have completely re-worked the way fonts are handled by the GUI. The outcome is that trying to customise font-family in the following 4 patches is now very limited:
  1. Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)
  2. Custom header/footer captions (nickel.yaml)
  3. Custom page navigation scrubber (nickel.yaml)
  4. Customise Header back button (nickel.yaml)

If you have been using any of the above patches to customise things other than font-family (e.g. font-size, line-height, ...) then those customisations should continue to work the same as they ever did.

Based on my limited testing, if your font-family customisation in patches 2,3 or 4 was to change
Georgia --> Avenir or
Avenir --> Georgia
then there is a fair chance that will still work as it did before v4.32.19501.

In patch 1, the only font-family customisation I could make work at all was to change
Georgia --> sans-serif
which I suspect is not particularly useful to most users.

Unrelated to the above 4 patches, a font-family GUI customisation which *does* still work (at least for now) is to completely replace the default system GUI fonts, Georgia and/or Avenir, with "better" fonts for your language. If you have the technical skills to already be doing this then everything should continue to work the same as it did before v4.32.19501.

I'll update this post if I discover anything new, related to font-family, that might be useful to others.

ETA: If you try to patch to a font-family other than Georgia/Avenir you won't get your chosen font after installation. Instead you'll get a fallback font (Kakugo, I think) which is one of the built-in CJK system fonts.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-19-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote