View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would expect them to pay attention to the fact that the enforcement of the already in-place rule (for no in-app sales outside of the Play Store) has been in the pipeline for over a year and to plan accordingly. I expect them not to cry foul now when they've known all along that it was going to happen....
As far as I know, none of these companies "cried foul." They just stopped in-app selling. I don't think they really had a choice. There was no way they could compete at this exorbitant rate. I'm the one crying foul because I think Google is foul. (Apple has been foul ever since they got into the eBook business by colluding with the publishers, so at least they're not hypocrites, just anti-trust thieves.)

Quote:
And don't forget that consumers are complicit in this fiasco as well. Everybody thinks all apps should be free or $0.99. If we (the royal we) were willing to actually pay a reasonable price for apps we find useful, vendors wouldn't be forced into going the subscription route (that everyone then complains about) in order to get the lower rate in the first place. They'd also be able to afford their own deployment/payment infrastructure.
No, I'm not "complicit" in Apple's and Google's greed. And we're not talking about the price of apps, we're talking about the cut (the exorbitant cut) that Apple and Google think they're entitled to for in-app sales from companies who provide free apps for their customer's convenience. A completely different subject. Google is now attempting to force these competitors to pay an extra 30% to sell their eBooks on their platform. That's Google's and Apple's greed, not mine.

As for "paying for their own infrastructure," that's exactly what Google is NOT allowing them to do, use their own infrastructure. They (long ago) had it paid for.

Quote:
I, for one, would rather see all in-app purchasing be done away with entirely. I don't use it.
Apple's and Google's greed is doing a pretty good job of getting rid of it, so you may get your wish. Me, I kind of like picking something out of the store and buying it from my phone (rarely, but it's still nice for spur of the moment purchases). Fortunately I can still do it from the eBook devices, so not a huge loss. At a reasonable rate, Apple and Google could have probably made a "tidy sum" of cash from their competitor's in-app sales, but greed often shunts common sense.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote