View Single Post
Old 03-23-2022, 04:35 AM   #3
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Hi,

Yes it's definitely got something to do with Android 10 and above permissions/storage access. I have a device still running Pie (9) and it can use Calibre Companion, Calibre Sync, ReadEra external access etc great from OTG storage. The Leaf (Android 10) cannot and nor can my Samsung Tab S6 (Android 11) so it's not just an Onyx thing.

I've got root access on my Leaf now...but I just don't know anything about this to know what I should be changing or if it's even possible to "jailbreak" the OTG SD a bit better.

Calibre Sync displays the exact same behaviour - downloads files fine, reads and catalogues all metadata, puts them on the SD card but won't open them. Error, missing file. It seems weird to me that you'd grand write access over read access.

I can work with it to a limited extent as in I can still get to my library from my sd card via file explorer and CC or CS can sync new books down it's just not optimal to try find things in a nested file structure and not a nice library interface like the apps. Calibre Sync I can see my library and access tags etc and THEN download the books I need to internal so that's helpful then delete to clear space when I'm done. That gets around the space issue (my non fiction library is enormous) but that requires me to have internet connection all the time.

So I can put up with it, I'd just prefer if I didn't have to lol plus I like to understand why things are the way they are. If it can be solved I'd love to know how it can be solved.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 03-23-2022 at 04:42 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote