View Single Post
Old 02-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Which readers handle EPUB3 with audio?

Thinking of children’s books and learning material, I think it’s time to start with EPUB3. On ReadBeyond, there are some nice sample EPUB3 books with audio narration.

I’d like to know which current e-readers (software and/or devices) already handle this format in a user-friendly way.

I already tried the following, using F. Scott Fitzgerald’s »The Curious Case of Benjamin Button« as an example:
  1. ✅ Readium (JS in browser)
  2. ✅ Thorium Reader (Linux AppImage; Readium-based)
  3. ✅ Menestrello (Android app)
  4. ❌ Calibre Reader (Linux)
  5. ❌ Foliate (Linux)
  6. ❌ KOReader
  7. ❌ Tolino (Vision 5; expected, no audio hardware)

I was a little disappointed to see that neither the Calibre Viewer nor KOReader could play this book with audio.

EPUB3 w/ audio would be an ideal format to learn new languages, for instance: See the marked words and hear the pronunciation by a native speaker. Unfortunately, today such books are mostly sold in Kindle or EPUB2 formats with an included audio download link—not much fun looking up separate audio files if you want to learn a language.

Do you know of others that can play EPUB3 w/ audio? Kobo, maybe?

Last edited by Moonbase59; 02-13-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote