View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 AM   #3252
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished listening to 1636: The Saxon Uprising, Eric Flint's mainline novel in the 1632/Ring of Fire alternate history, narrated by George Guidall. The narration is, as always with Guidall, excellent.

I first started this series in 2012, and was completely blown away by the first, 1632. I immediately read the second, which was co-authored with David Weber, and enjoyed that too. Then I made the mistake of reading some of the other books in the series, written by authors other than Eric Flint. Some were OK, at least one was positively awful, but the result of it all was that I simply lost interest. I started a re-read last year, but this time I made a decision to ignore any of the story arcs outside of the mainline and just read those mainline stories, all of which are authored or co-authored by Eric. This has made a huge difference. I'm already well past where I fizzled out last time, and I'm really enjoying them. What a complex and thoroughly consistent* alternate history.

*A Note: There is a team of authors and contributors who rigorously maintain the lists and spreadsheets of what is 'canon', and who do extensive historical research to keep things completely consistent and possible, given the first impossible thing that is the initial premise**. If you're interested in reading these, and I highly recommend it, start with the first book - 1632, which is completely free. If you read it, and want more, I suggest reading Eric Flint's article on reading order.

**The Premise:
Spoiler:
The premise is that the town of Grantville, West Virginia in the year 2000 is suddenly moved in time and space to Northern Germany in the year 1632, right smack in the middle of the 30 Years War. Only the people in the town of Grantville at the moment of change, and only the resources of the town at the time of change are available to the the new world of 1632, and after.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-27-2022 at 01:03 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote