Thread: Tables in ePub
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 03:41 AM   #10
Artie
Artie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Lightbulb Table workflow for ePub

Hi all,

Many thanks for your answers, I really appreciate them.

I've been working with HTML and CSS for years, so this is not an issue. Image/HTML debate is old for me.

And I think this GIF is brilliant! Super! https://old.reddit.com/r/gifs/commen...less_terrible/

I started this thread to figure out which is the best workflow for tables inside an EPUB file.

If the EPUB format supports tables, I do really believe there should be a straightforward way to generate a document with tables that can be translated into an EPUB, in a clean way.

Right now, I use Ulysses for writing. When I need to write the table, I switch to Google Drive, create and populate the table, export as an image, and embed into Ulysses. Of course, when exporting to EPUB, the table shows.

But if I have to switch to a text editor to create the table, this is exactly what I do with Google Docs right now.

I have tried Typora, Zettlr, iA Writer and TableFlip to replace Drive, but if they support tables, they aren't able to export and vice versa.

Vellum neither Ulysses understand tables.
TableFlip and Marked understand tables, but they don't export to EPUB.

I don't want to use Google Drive, Word or OpenOffice.
I don't want to use images for tables (and maths formulas).
I want my EPUB file to have the lowest file size possible, as it is extended and contains lots of data.

I use Calibre to transfer the EPUB that generates Ulysses to my Kindle device. Sigil is new for me, but it seems a text editor.

Likewise, I'm confused about how Calibre and Sigil may help me, can you please elaborate a little more on that @Kalleen?

Many thanks!
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote