View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
I own a reMarkable 1 and a reMarkable 2, the latter I got as a pre-order last year, the first was a refurbished item from the company direct.

I'm not overjoyed by the move to a subscription model, however it should be noted that only customers who buy a device after 12th October have to pay the subscription, at least for now. Existing users who bought devices before that date get the Connect subscription for free.

How long the company can keep doing that is anyone's guess. However, for the time being, loyal customers are not being penalised. Just as well really as it would probably be illegal in many countries.

If/when the free subscription plan changes, then there will be real controversy. I hope that, before that day arrives, reMarkable take the sensible step of making it more user friendly to sync and backup their devices via USB, or wi-fi without having to use their cloud service. If they do that, existing customers will not be so upset if the Connect service moves to paid for everyone.

On the screen latency and writing/drawing feel, the reMarkable is still the best device out there. While ePub handling has improved with the last couple of firmware updates, this is still primarily a note-taking device and it still excels at that function, bar none.

I own Boox devices too, and while they are much improved, they are not quite as good for note-taking as reMarkable. Boox have their own strengths, including excellent reader app and the flexibility of the Android ecosystem.

My ideal device would combine the excellent note-taking and ease of use of reMarkable, with the flexibility and versatility of Boox. Sadly it does not yet exist...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote