View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 12:34 AM   #74
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I am disabled and can't travel to a library.

I can't get a card unless I can get to the library.

The library system says to contact county disability services about this, county disability services says to contact the library system.
I am a member of several library districts. They all say you have to make a trip in person to get a library card. They all will issue a temporary library card good for 3 months or so if you apply online, but you have to go to the library during those 3 months and get a card in person.

One of my libraries I was going to let lapse. I never went down to get the card. Now, four years later, my temporary card that I applied for online is still working.

Another of my libraries was a far drive (1-1/2 hours). I called one of the library branches directly and asked if they would grant me a card without me showing up in person since the drive was so far. They gladly obliged.

So if you're saying you have to show up in person based on something you read on their website, that may not be the case. If your library has branches, call one of those branches directly instead of the main library number. That's what I did. I don't know why I did that, but I ended up not having to drive down there possibly because of it.

Also, do you have a friend who could go to the library in your place? Call the library in advance and let them know your situation and ask if your friend can bring your ID and proof of residency down for you, tell them exactly who the friend is and then you friend can show them their ID as well as yours. Any library that wouldn't accommodate something like that for a person in your situation is a pretty disgusting library. Most librarians really seem to go out of their way to help customers. My experiences have been that librarians are some of the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote