View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #27
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I also love this new option! Thank you guys!

I am going to add a Wiki article regarding this option to make things (hopefully) clear. I'll summarize my thoughts here from both perspectives. Please let me know if you think something is off in my reasoning.

I think all this polemic stems from the fact that there are actually two different perspectives on how to interpret "pages left" in a chapter/book. They both are fine within their own context and both definitely have a right to exist, and here is why.

1) Reader's perspective (when the new checkbox is ON).
In this perspective, on any given page the question is "How many pages are left to actually read to finish this chapter?". In other words, the "count" starts at the beginning of a current page.

Edges cases:
- You are on the 1/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows n.

- After (n-1) page turns, you are on the n/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows 1. So you are going to actually read one more page (this last one) before the chapter ends.

2) Code/rendering perspective (when the new checkbox is OFF).
In this perspective, on any given page the question is "How many pages are left to render to finish this chapter?". In other words, the "count" starts at the beginning of a next page.

Edges cases:
- You are on the 1/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows (n-1).

- After (n-1) page turns, you are on the n/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows 0, because there are no more pages to render that belong to current chapter.

In both cases, the respective sum of pages is consistent in their respective context, and I think there is no need to start counting from 0 in any case:
- In Reader's perspective, on the 1/n page, no pages are actually read (0), and there are "n" to go. So, 0+n = n.
- In Rendering perspective, on the 1/n page, 1 page is already rendered (1), and there are "(n-1)" to go. So, 1 + (n-1) = n.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote