View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #43
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, disabling com.onyx disables 60 Megs of cruft.
It does disable "enhancements" and a ton of other stuff.
You are left with a more Android-like environment.
Thank you for this too!

The only reasons I kept com.onyx were enhancements, which can makes some apps really readable with better fonts and contrast, the ability to apply custom DPI scale, and screensavers.

For fonts and contrast, I was mostly concerned about GoldenDict dictionary, which I call from Reading apps. However, I found how to tweak it's CSS.
For DPI, there is a Developer option to change "Smallest width" in Drawing section, in dp units. So I set it to 600, and it is about the same scale as "400 DPI" in the Onyx enhancement.
As for contrast, most of the apps look washed with enhancements, but reading apps are optimized for e-ink. So it is bearable. Also, there is a global contrast option, which I occasionally need.

Screensavers were manually copied to /data/local/assets/ and given 777 permission. The images must be rotated 90deg CCW w.r.t up-right position (i.e. their top side is aligned with the screen's left edge) to properly draw on the lockscreen.

So I disabled onyx.com.

I don't use multi-window, so it's not a big deal.
Other things work as expected: swipe gestures, Navigation ball (really handy, to be honest), Music Player, Gallery, Clock.

Voice Recorder is disabled because it has Mic access even if the app is closed.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote