Thread: Apple WWDC 2020
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #57
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Actually, most of what you are talking about isn't Apple content, but content provided by other providers such as HBO. Basically, they are trying to get you to subscribe to those other channels.

From the beginning, Jobs's vision of AppleTV was that it was going to be a hub for all your viewing content, kind of like Tivo. I see a lot of value to being able to simply say "I want to watch Yellowstone" without having to worry about what channel it's on, or what service has it (Paramount+ in this particular case). The problem is that each service wants you to subscribe to them and all those subscriptions add up. It's too bad really, but much of the TV/streaming world is still caught in the "I want the Whole Pie" mindset rather than working together and sharing the money. Still, I do subscribe to Disney+ and the notices of new drops of shows that I watch is pretty nice.
You are being Captain Obvious. Only a total moron wouldn't understand that the for rent/buy content is mostly 3rd party content, unless you are on Disney which owns half of it already. Duh. And that is the problem I’m having, the 3rd party content is okay but pricey, and the Apple original content is for people two generations younger than me. I'm sure it is good for the Millennials, but for us old guys, well not so much.

Also I’m referring to the Apple TV+ service, not just the Apple TV box. With or without the Apple TV+ service, the Apple TV box will do just what the Fire TV devices do, shove lots of expensive 3rd party content in our faces. So much so, that it is often difficult to cut through all that crap advertising to quickly find what you paused a few days prior, or locate something that is free and watchable. Apple, Roku, Amazon, Android TV, etc. all try to guess what you want to watch then try to give you an enema with it. I hate that, especially since none of them have a clue what I want to watch. Their guesses are more often wrong than right. I wish they would stop it, but they won’t as they make too much money for advertisements. Personally, I’m well aware what shows are on what service, I don’t need Apple or Amazon to hold my hand and walk me over to the correct channel while taking a detour down Advertisement Hell alley. And their search features are nearly totally advertisement based, and often make suggestions that even Kevin Bacon can't figure out how they are connected to what you searched for.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote