View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweller View Post
...validate the database? By which I mean check that everything which is in the database actually exists on the HDD and ensure the database itself is consistent.
Not as far as I know.

Quote:
...inspect a book using Calibre without adding it to the library? I know I could add it to the library then delete it afterwards if necessary but I was wondering if I can skip the add/delete step and just look at the book details, view it etc.
Not as far as I know

Quote:
...delete one or more formats of a book? e.g. if I have a book in PRC, PDF and LRF formats just delete, say, the pdf.
This is done via the Edit metadata dialogs.

Quote:
...use Calibre in multi-user mode? Our eBook library is stored on a NAS and I'm currently running Calibre just on my machine. SWMBO also has a reader and it would be useful if she could run Calibre on her machine against the same database.
This is one I am not sure off. I store my database on my NAS, but I am never updating from more than one system at a time.

Quote:
Where is the metadata stored, in the database or in the eBook file itself? (I suspect the answer is some and some)
The metadata is primarily stored in the metadata.db file. However items like cover art are store as free-standing files.

Quote:
If I want to back-up the Calibre database am I correct in assuming all I need to backup is metadata.db?
No - you should be backing up everything in the Calibre library folder.

Quote:
Is it possible to persuade Calibre to pre-populate the metadata for a bulk edit where the data for all the files to be edited is consistent? I'm thinking of a situation where, for several books, I have made a typo in an author's name or the sort sequence is wrong. I realise I can retype it but if all I need to do is make a small edit to the existing data it would be easier if the bulk editor presented consistent existing data.
Yes - simply highlight the files concerned and select the option to Edit metadata option.

Quote:
And finally, I'll be grateful if someone will recommend a piece of software which I could use to run queries against the Calibre database and/or export the data from within it.
I use sqliteman (which is free).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote