View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #24
Pilgrim86
Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
What does that even mean? Like Tolkien's books wouldn't meet these restrictions and those are classic staples for fanatasy books.

What does that actually mean? Is Exhalation from Ted Chiang blasphemous as is has a short story about the tower of babylon?

Your restrictions are so vague that almost every sci-fi book that promotes free thought or actually any fantasy book wouldn't meet them. I'd argue that none of the recommended books in this thread meet them.
That a book is classic does not by default make it acceptable, or, for that matter appealing. Though I would agree with the sentiment that over the last hundred years there has been a general change in what is considered permissible to present and consequently one would think older might be safer. Tolkien dealt with magic, not always presenting it in positive light, and I don't desire to go into that arena.

What qualifies as blasphemous in my mind is the presentation of God in a way that holds him in low esteem. In books that frequently appears in mocking Biblical themes or in using his person as a curse or in a way which does not honor him.

I don't ask for your agreement, am only providing an explanation of my interests.
Pilgrim86 is offline   Reply With Quote