View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
Rida
Rida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you everyone for replying; I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rida View Post
It looks clear that calibre has for some reason squashed

Goscinny, René & Uderzo, Albert
into
Goscinny, Renderzo, Albert

for one of the books
That is almost definitely what calibre is doing.

The maximum path length for a file in Windows is 255 characters. If the generated path exceeds this, calibre will shorten parts of the path. And taking characters out of the middle of one of the directory names is how it normally happens.
As you say, davidfor, it's got to be hitting the maximum path length for a file in Windows.

Perhaps interestingly, the whole length of the truncated version is 263 characters. I'm not sure how Windows achieved that, but still.

Anyway, I don't want to spend longer on this, so I've just created a folder called STD on my root directory. That solves the problem. [Unfortunately, STD stands for sexually transmitted disease, doesn't it. So anyone looking at my PC may get the wrong idea - and I'll probably also be getting weird Faceook ads now. If you lot do too, blame me!]

I do think that calibre should avoid truncating the folder names if possible, because it puts the same author in different folders, which could be problematical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I had a similar issue with filepath limitation truncating characters in the middle of the path. I resolved it by using {author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)} to list only the first author.
Your link, ownedbycats, leads to this comment:
Quote:
The path creation is done by calibre. The drivers supply a maximum path length and calibre works something out in that. It does tend to shorten the actual file name more than the rest of the path, but, I have seen this myself. I use a couple of different libraries, and put the library name first. Occasionally the library name gets shortened. From a quick look at the code, all parts of the path can be shortened, but the longer the part, the more will be taken from it. Hence the file name part will usually be changed the most.
In my case, the file name is the longest part, so I believe this should have been shortened instead of the authors being mangled in the file path and creating separate authors for the same author. So I believe this is a bug. I'd be more than willing to help get to the root of this, kovidgoyal, if you happen to be reading this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe you have run up against a very obscure problem with path lengths.
I think so, BR.

Quote:
And as an aside, it has been a long time since I read an Asterix story. I had to translate the title to English as I didn't remember one that long. And I don't recognise it. Or the covers I found. I'll have to check my library to see if I do have it.
It's not part of the main Asterix series, davidfor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es#In_addition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1989 a final illustrated story appeared. The story was by Goscinny (in 1965) with new, original art by Uderzo. It was 32 pages and appeared in the larger format used for the regular albums. It was the only one that was published in English:

1989 – Comment Obelix est tombé dans la marmite du druide quand il était petit (How Obelix Fell into the Magic Potion When he was a Little Boy)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Ob...s_a_Little_Boy

I love Asterix, davidfor, and Father Christmas brought my son a real-life copy so I guess he has the same taste as me - he must be a good bloke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
have a look at where the Asterisk books are stored,
Asterisk? Burn the heathen! Just kidding, BR. Maybe have a look here; they seem to be available to read online: https://www.omgbeaupeep.com/comics/Asterix/

Thanks again, everyone.
Rida is offline   Reply With Quote