View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
jadhvaryu
jadhvaryu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sometimes the metadata found is for a DIFFERENT book, or has errors. So everything needs human reviewed.

Better advice is possible if you explain not a particular issue but what your end result is.
Hi Quoth,

I am part of team working on a purpose-built reader around Gutenberg free books. And need enriched metadata to help in books searching and selection. Essentially: we need title, abstract/summary, author(s), publisher(s), genre(s), keyword(s)/tag(s) and ISBN#. For now, we only care for English books.

Also, the book format we prefer is HTML.

And like i mentioned earlier, I randomly checked more than 100 books and found the completeness of meta data is consistently poor.

And hence need a way to enrich it.

I played with Calibre a bit. But seems it allows:
- search results to be only 25 books
- only interactive download of one format at a time
- and metadata gathered still seems limited. (I tried the popular book "Complete Works" by William Shakespeare but still metadata was not enough.

Also, i have already downloaded big set of gutenberg ebooks (HTML version zip file). Can i 'import' these books into calibre?

Lastly, the purpose built reader will be priced for profit. We will not charge for the Gutenberg books, just the reader. If we end up using Calibre to maintain our books and update metadata, who can we talk to to understand usage / licensing terms.

Many thanks!
jadhvaryu is offline   Reply With Quote