View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #86
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but that's my point. You're saying, in your post, that saying ""Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" is somehow wrong. Because a bunch of women (let's not kid ourselves) decided that that's unacceptable behavior. It's the same as Prohibition; the Carrie Nations of the world decided for everybody else what was right, what was wrong and what we should do.

I wouldn't discuss murders, rapes, etc., with children, either. Or Sexual congress between adults. There's a difference between innocence, suitable topics and whether or not saying "poop" versus "No. 2" or "s**t" makes the latter profanity and unhearable in polite company, versus the former two.

If your comment means, for example, that while you wouldn't say it TO small children, you'd yell at another adult "screw you!" in their hearing, but wouldn't say Eff you...I mean, that's madness. I'm not criticizing you, seriously. I'm saying that this sort of distinction is the ubiquitous Cognitive Dissonance that we see everywhere these days.

I mean--who decided that s**t is unacceptable in "polite" company, but "poop" is perfectly fine? Am I the only one that finds that bizarre or utterly irrational?

Hitch
Sooooo....the way I think of it is: what is the intent of the speaker. If I say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" then the emotion of the swear words comes through....at least it would if I said it - because I would have to be extremely upset. People pick up on the non-verbal communication that coincides with the verbal portion.... babies would cry, children would become fearful, adults would quake in their boots ... it wouldn't be a pleasant experience...and it certainly wouldn't be appreciated in polite company.

In the south we have a term "Bless your heart!" that can be meant in a myriad of ways... You can take it at face value - which tourists tend to and don't realize they are probably being insulted - or you could be confused, or it could even be grounds for declaring Kanly! Likewise, I could say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" with a super sweet voice and a big smile on my face and the baby would only pick up on the sweet voice and smile, the child may or may not understand the words and look at you funny, the adult would know that you were being very fake/false/sarcastic and respond with anything from a laugh to a punch in the nose.

What happens when the child repeats your words in school thinking it is perfectly acceptable as long as they smile??

Personally I have made it a point to curtail my swearing. In high school I was a potty mouth... Then the college I attended required us to memorize quotes about how cursing was 'not acceptable'...
Spoiler:
Quote:
General George Washington:
The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.
and then I had kids and had to watch my language in front of them. I made it into a game - see how creative I could be about replacing bad words with nonsense, or other words. (eg. My Grandma taught me: "Sugar Honey Ice & Tea") The result of the game was an expanded vocabulary, and by the time I figured out something creative to say, usually the anger (and thus the non-verbal communication) was either gone, or drastically reduced.

If you associate with people who constantly swear like sailors, then you tend to think it is totally OK, or even expected, to talk like that. If you associate with kids and/or other "polite" groups then it is quite shocking when you hear it.

And remember - In this day and age it is like walking a tightrope trying not to offend one group or another...it would be difficult for an open website like MR to justify allowing p**ty talk.

---OK, back to our reg**arly sche**led thread---
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote