View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 06:57 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marst View Post
As I said: The book in question, as first downloaded from the Kobo site, behaved like all the others downloaded that way. It could be set at my option to flush-left/ragged right. The same is true of all books I've purchased so far from the Kobo site, their publishers notwithstanding. When I gave up on sync via wifi and switched to the ADE solution, that's when the inability to change to FL/RR became apparent.

The problem-child book is not side-loaded via manual copying. (On the other hand, when I've side-loaded DRM-free books via manual copying to the device's .kobo subdirectory, there's been no problem changing their text alignment to FL/RR.)
As I have stated, you are using two different reading applications on the device. They work differently. They respect different parts of the formatting and they ignore different parts of the formatting. And, they allow different parts to be overridden by the controls on the device.

From my experience, few epubs do not respond to the controls. To check I used ADE to put about ten books on the device. In all cases, they let me change the font size and margins.

Only one had problems with changing the font. It didn't change for the main body text, but it did change for the chapter headings and a couple of other places. Looking at the code in the book, it has hardcoded fonts for the bits that didn't change. And overall, the code in the book was bad enough, I'm not surprised things didn't work.

For the justification options, it depends on the code in the book. If the styles in the book set the text to justified, it could not be overridden. If the book did not set the alignment to justified, the controls could change. But, it could also depend on how the book sets the alignment. The RMSDK might override it at the body level, but, not at the paragraph level. I don't have a book to test this with.

The above works whether the book has DRM. But, the above is for epubs. Which are always sideloaded. The way kepubs (sideloaded or downloaded, with or without DRM) work is different. Just as other devices and other ereader apps work differently. The way they work depends on how the people who wrote the code decided to do it. That includes their interpretation of any applicable standards.

As you seem to prefer the way that the kepubs work, then you need to get those working. Suggestions for how to do this have been made. As I have stated, I think you need to start with a full factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote