View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When for example, I try to open the Tor freebie of The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett by dropping it on Kindle Previewer, I get a Kindle Previewer does not support this file.... message (see attached image). Dropping a mobi file that does open (The Haunting of Tram Car 015 for instance), I get the We recommend using EPUB popup. Seeing as Amazon does not support epub on their ereaders or apps, I find it humourous that they recommend that format for creating/editing ebooks.

So to answer your question, both.
That must be either a Calibre, or even older, MBPC book. I don't have this problem at my shop, where we build MOBIs either a) from ePUBs that we've done, or b) by using zipped HTML folders, or c) some combo of that. I mean, I want to be clear, we're building our files effectively using Kindlegen or KP3.x.

The only time I've seen anything like that is when I get customers coming to me to revise (much older) books and when I pop them open, I almost invariably see "Calibre" in the CSS.

I have also see kluged-from-MBPC-PRC files fail, too. I mean, originally were Word, then PRC and then reprocessed to earlier MOBI. Those seem to fail pretty soundly too.

What's inside? When you unpack that sucker, what's it say?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote