View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #27
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Is there a book you have been thinking about since March? AND What books did you tell your friends "you have to read this"?

I’ll cheat a bit and include two books, but they both answer the two questions above:
  • I read This is How You Lose the Time War by Mx Gladstone and Amal El-Mahotar the last week of February. I thought when I read it that it would be in my top ten for the year, and I was right. I’ve tried to get tons of folks to read it (including a failed attempt to get the book club to read it). I keep seeing on my “Hall of Fame” shelf and wanting to read it again.
  • I read Rebecca Makkai’s The Great Believers in June and it was one of my favorite reads of the year. If you are in the gay community and are of a certain age, you know someone who died from AIDS in the 80s. Makkai did a wonderful job of capturing the feelings of that decade the lives of those of us left behind. Definitely still thinking about it.
A book you couldn't put down or have re-read three times just this year?
  • I re-read War and Peace with the #TolstoyTogether project starting in March when the US lockdowns began. It was my third read and I still love it very much.
A book that was worth the wait:
I’m going to cheat again and put two books.
  • I read Dickens’ Nicholas Nickleby for the first time of the year and it is my favorite Dickens now.
  • But the big one I waited on and finally got through was Vera Brittain’s Testament of Youth. I’ve owned it through a history of three e-readers and had started it a few times. Hung with it this time and it will definitely be in my top 10 this year.

Favorite book club selection?

By far my favorite book club book was Barbara Pym’s Quartet in Autumn which I read for the literary book club. I never would have picked it up outside the club, but now plan to explore Pym’s other works.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote