View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopepper View Post
Thank you. I was interested to solve this because some more experienced writers who I've been talking to told me that using etc is necessary for any novel writing/narrative. I will try to use it correctly this time.
I would need more information. If you mean that you are writing a non-fiction book, that would contain narrative elements like lists, then I see no reason not to use "etc." I mean, obviously, not overmuch, but sure, it can shortcut longer lists.

However, I can see almost no reason why it would be used in the narrative for a novel. As the narrator of the tale, either as the omniscient narrator or close first and the like, in what context would you say "etc."? The narrator, unless first person probably isn't "talking to" the reader directly and listing things, right?

I'm envisioning something along the lines of "'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, etc., must be in want of a wife." Loses something with the addition, no?

Or for TTM..."When D'artagnan, Artemis, etc., went to Ghent..."

You just wouldn't. Maybe I've simply absorbed it (or it's invisible, like 'said') and moved on, but I did a quick search of the last five novels I've read and didn't see "etc" outside of a character's dialogue.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote