View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #597
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Unless we're willing to limit ourselves to books written in the last 20-30 years, we will inevitably run into problems. One mentioned was Dorothy Sayers where, sadly, the MR club read Whose Body. This was a direct result of the insistence that we should always start with the first book in a series. And yes, it is certainly the most blatantly antisemitic of her books, and it is also probably her worst. And yet? I'd hate to have never read Sayers, and I find Lord Peter, and especially Harriet Vane, to be characters I've enjoyed and expect to enjoy again.

So, as gmw says, yes, we expect you to read and participate if you voted. But if you find a particular book offensive, then by all means opt out. This doesn't mean you find a particular book not to your taste -- we've all hit those. But actually offensive? Then please, take a pass that month. And feel free to post a short comment in the discussion thread with an explanation.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote